One Killed In Runaway.  Two women and baby hurled in front of passenger train at Burrton.  Elephant Frightened Horse.

Mrs. Patrick Murphy, wife of the Frisco section boss here, was instantly killed and her daughter, Mrs. Tom Murphy, probably fatally injured this afternoon, when their horse became frightened at an elephant connected with a dog and pony show and bolted down Main street, dashing into Santa Fe passenger train No. 565.  Mrs. Tom Murphy’s baby, also in the buggy, was thrown clear of the railway tracks and was only slightly hurt from the fall.  The women were driving along Main street when the horse bolted, heading directly for the tracks.  The frightened women were frantically trying to stop the animal, but not until the tracks were reached and the train almost upon the helpless occupants of the buggy, did the horse check its speed.  The horse veered quickly, falling and throwing the buggy around directly in the path of the onrushing train.  There was a crash and a scream and the two women were struck by the engine.  Mrs. Patrick Murphy was killed instantly, her body being terribly mangled.  Mrs. Tom Murphy sustained a bad cut on the head and the wheels passed over one of her legs.  Just how seriously she was injured is not known yet.  By some miracle, the baby was thrown clear of the track and was only scratched and bruised a little.  The buggy was hurled seventy-five feet away.  Santa Fe train No. 565 was in charge of Engineer Shipman and Conductor McLoughlin.  The accident occurred at 4:18 o’clock.  The horse which was responsible for the accident got out of it minus one-half of its tail.  The train did not strike the animal, but the wheels passed over the tail, severing it.  (The Hutchinson Gazette, Hutchinson Kansas.  October 20, 1914.  Page 1). 

Samantha Emeline Gibson was born August 17, 1851 in Freeport, Penn., died at Burrton, Kansas, October 19, 1914, aged 63 years, 2 months and 2 days.  When but a small child she moved with her parents to Clarksburgh, Missouri, where she resided seven years.  In the fall of 1872 she moved to near Burrton, Kansas, where she has since made her home with the exception of eight years spent in Oklahoma.  She was married to Patrick Murphy in May 1873.  To this union were born nine children, three having died in infancy.  The remaining six children, Mrs. Mollie Devine of Farmington, Washington; Mr. Andy Murphy of Montana; Miss Ella Murphy, also of Montana; Mrs. Rosa Murphy, Ruby, and Joseph Murphy of Burrton.  She also leaves to mourn, a father, husband, three sisters and two brothers.  She was a true Christian woman, a good wife and a loving and tender mother.

“Call not back the dear departed, Anchored safe where storms are o’re; On the border land we left them, Soon to meet and part no more.  When we leave this world of changes, When we leave this world of care, We shall meet our missing loved one, In our Father’s mansion fair.”  The funeral was held at her sister’s home, Mrs. Short, and was conducted by the Pastor of the Presbyterian Church, assisted by Rev. Crutcher of the Christian Church, and Rev. Wyrick of the Methodist Church.  The text was taken from 1 Samuel 20:3, “There is but one step between me and death.”  The high school  pupils were in attendance at the service.  The remains were lain away to rest in our beautiful cemetery until the Resurrection Morn.  (The Burrton Tribune, Burrton Kansas.  Thursday October 22, 1914.  Page 1).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email